Thursday, August 15, 2013

Contemporary Psalms


8-15-13

Bear with me that I may speak, and after I have spoken, keep mocking.
Job 21:3

LORD, it seems You are telling me to recognize and resist the open mouth of a hungry lion. Venturing toward it is unwise; even more foolish is actually nibbling my way down the trail into its waiting, wide-open jaws.

I tend to fall for the bait, which, for me, generally comes camouflaged as "an opportunity for civil discourse." Yet when I venture "bravely" in to offer a differing viewpoint, I discover that I am facing the leering fangs of ferocity. I always expect to see a sign saying, "NO TRESPASSING FOR THOSE OF A DIFFERING VIEWPOINT," but after falling once again for the bait, I am finally learning expectations can kill you.

I made a mistake! Once again, I thought Diversity might be welcome in that pasture, but apparently not. My contributions are never perfect, I do admit. Therefore, I may be wiser simply not biting the bait. Practicing "civil discourse" is part of the lure for me, but it seems to bring me right straight to the roaring lion. I need to stop trying to speak rationally with a roaring lion!

Only You can get through, and so I pray LORD, that You will -- I know You can.  And so I pray to You, O God Most High, as Christ prayed on the cross, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do. I, too, was intractable once; I have known that disease. Yet You had mercy on me! Have mercy, LORD<, I pray, revealing Yourself as You revealed Yourself to me. I give it all for You to handle. I can't; You can; I need to let You." 

Forgiveness is the last word.

This photograph is from a Facebook page called Live Life in Color.

No comments:

Post a Comment