Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Contemporary Psalms


7-23-13

The hand of our God is upon all those for good who seek Him, but His power and His wrath are against all those who forsake Him.
Ezra 8:22

LORD, years ago, Your man Oswald Chambers wrote that "We have not only lost Jesus Christ's idea of righteousness, but we laugh at the Bible idea of rigtheousness. Our god is the conventional righteousness of the society to which we belong."

LORD! That had to be written before the end of World War I, as Oswald died in 1917. Oh, LORD! How long? How long will You tarry? For the wicked surround the righteous; therefore perverse judgment proceeds (Habakuk 1).

LORD! Habakuk was writing millennia ago! Long have You tarried, giving us as much opportunity as possible to see the error of our worldly ways as we arrogantly persist in building latter days versions of the Tower of Babel. Have Mercy, LORD, have mercy as You poured out on me, gently entering my living room on Goat Island, sitting with me there, singing me into seeing You and how sweet You are, how lovely, how forgiving and kind. Gently You lifted the veils from my blindfolded eyes, and at last I could see and sorrow and repent and return to You, Who had been there, knocking on the door of my heart, for a very long time. You opened the eyes of my eyes, the ears of my ears, the heart of my heart -- and led led me  through the Bible, revealing You Truth and Your Metaphors that helped me comprehend the incomprehensible.

Thank You, LORD, for You have proven to me that You are able to retrieve anyone, if You could rescue and reveal Yourself to me. I was like Pentheus, arrogant and revering above all the Life of the Mind, and like Agave, merrily  going whatever way(s) I felt like going. It all ended e up like Kadmos, lukewarm about You and stuck in the perpetual middle about Your Salvation and Your Truth and Your Life. Yet You had mercy on me and plucked me off that dangerous ledge and led me into Your Arms where You attend me and care for me and lead me and teach me. Thus I know You are inclined to my prayers this day for others. And thus I know I can thank You,even now, for Your Will to be done in the lives of those for whom I pray. Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment