Saturday, July 20, 2013

Contemporary Psalm


7-20-13

Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer and attend to the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble, I will call upon You, for You will answer me.
Psalm 86-6-7

All glory, praise and honor to You, O LORD who just last year at this time, retrieved me from a mistake I'd made to return to a position I'd held in former career days. I was flattered to be asked to return from "retirement" for a project that looked simple enough. To the eyes of my husband and me, the project appeared simple enough, but over the weeks that transpired before the project was to launch, You, O LORD,   revealed that this "field" was not actually a field at all -- it was a pond, and that pond was polluted. I realized I had made a grievous error --that I had fallen to vain glory seeking and the approval of men, and my heart fell to its knees in prayer. I wept; I confessed; I wailed, imploring You to pull me out of the trouble into which I had wandered. In reply, You showed me that this pond was not toxic for the others who were suiting up, but for me, it was adrenaline -- my former drug of choice. I was to refuse even one more sup of that adrenaline, and I obeyed You to the dismay of others who read the situation differently than I. You encouraged me by telling me that my weeping and wailing was, to You,the highest form of worship. And you led me gently away from the shore of that pond. You showed me that it's dock was old and rickety, and that You had wide open sea for me to sail, open and free. You made all things right as I followed You and refused to follow the dictates of mere men. This incident was hugely instructive in revealing some things I needed to know about myself.

Thank You, LORD, for a relationship with You that gives me the guidance I need to steward this vessel, this temple of Your Holy Spirit. "What is it to you what the others are doing?" You gently asked. "You, follow Me.

And so, I did -- and I do, and I will, as best I can, both now and forever. Thank You, LORD, for answering me in that day of trouble, and in the others since, and in those to come. I now have evidence of Your faithfulness helps me persevere.

This photograph is from a Facebook page called Live Life In Color.

No comments:

Post a Comment