Saturday, July 12, 2014

Gathering in Christ



Psalm 82:3-4
Defend the poor and fatherless; do justice to the afflicted and needy; deliver the poor and needy; free them from the hand of the wicked.

We have grown literally afraid of being poor. We despise anyone who elects to be poor in order to simplify and save his inner life. If he does not join the general scramble and pant with the money-making street, we deem him spiritless and lacking in ambition. We have lost the power of imagining what the ancient idealization of poverty could have meant -- the liberation from material attachments, the unbribed soul, the manlier indifferences, the paying our way by what we are or do and not by what we have…

The thing in which I am blessed is in my poverty. If I know I have no strength of will, no nobility of disposition, then Jesus says, “Blessed are you” because it is through that poverty that I enter into the kingdom of heaven. I cannot enter the kingdom of heaven as a good man or woman; I can only enter the kingdom of heaven as a complete pauper.

Excerpts from Oswald Chambers
Daily Devotional Bible, Reading 193 (7/12)
From The Love of God

This photograph is from a Facebook page called Live Life in Color.

No comments:

Post a Comment