Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Fall (Pun Intended) of 2008



Below are the scriptures that continued to come before me as I fasted and prayed before the National Election of 2008. In retrospect, I find them even more alarming than I did at the time. Comments and dissent are encouraged and welcome when I post these things. My blog is for sharing as honestly  as I can, and for encouraging dialogue even when we disagree. Here's some -- just some -- of what I "downloaded" during my Quiet Times with the LORD back then:

Everyone will deceive his neighbor and will not speak the truth; they have taught their tongue to speak lies. Your dwelling place is in the midst of deceit; through deceit they refuse to know Me, says the Lord (Jeremiah 9:5-7).  Everyone is dull-hearted, without knowledge, a work of error (Jeremiah 10:14-15). Your rule shall collapse (Jeremiah 13:18) because you have forgotten Me and trusted in falsehood (Jeremiah 13:25). Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom; let not the mighty man glory in his might, nor let the rich man glory in his riches. But let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord, exercising loving-kindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth, for in these I delight, says the Lord (Jeremiah 9:23-24). The Lord is on my side; I will not fear (Psalm 118:6).

The exact middle of the Bible is this verse: It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man (Psalm 118:8).

Do not be dismayed at the signs of heaven, for the customs of the people are futile (Jeremiah 10:2). At God’s wrath, the earth will tremble, and the nations will not be able to endure His indignation (Jeremiah 10:10). Why are those happy who deal so treacherously! You, oh God, are near in their mouth but far from their mind (Jeremiah 12:1-2). Even your brothers, the house of your father, even they have dealt treacherously with you. They “make nice” – but do not believe them even though they speak smooth words to you (Jeremiah 12:6).

Pour out Your fury (Your salvation!) on those who do not know You and on the families who do not call on Your name because they know not what they do!  Forgive them, Lord, have mercy, as You did for me (Jeremiah 10:25). If they will learn carefully the ways of My people, to swear by My name… then they shall be established in the midst of My people.  But if they do not obey, I will utterly pluck up and destroy that nation, says the Lord (Jeremiah 12:16-17). This evil people, who refuse to hear My words, who follow the dictates of their hearts and walk after other gods to serve them and worship them shall be just like this sash which is profitable for nothing (Jeremiah 13:10). Give glory to the Lord your God before He causes darkness (Jeremiah 13:16). My soul will weep in secret for your pride; my eyes will weep bitterly and run down with tears because the Lord’s flock has been taken captive (Jeremiah 13:17). I shall not die but love and declare the works of the Lord.  Open to me the gates of righteousness. I will go through them, and I will praise the Lord. This is the gate of the Lord through which the righteous shall enter (Psalm 118:17-20).

Behold I will bring on this city and on all her towns all the doom that I have pronounced against it because they have stiffened their necks that they might not hear My words (Jeremiah 19:14).

This photograph is by Jo Chaney.

No comments:

Post a Comment