Monday, October 7, 2013

Contemporary Psalms




10-7-13

The pains of death surrounded me, and the pangs of Sheol laid hold of me; I found trouble and sorrow. Then I called upon the name of the LORD, "O LORD, I implore You, deliver my soul!" Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yes our God is merciful. The LORD preserves the simple; I was brought low, and He saved me.
Psalm 116:3-4

After these words LORD I wrote in the margins, "And He did!" For You find me in my my trouble and sorrow; You walked right into my living room sand sat with Me and explained Yourself to me, so gently, so sweetly, in ways I could taste and see. Thank You, LORD, for Your Amazing Grace. I know that faith in You will bear fruit -- Your fruit -- in Your timing. I will see those stone walls come crashing down and, in the dissipating dust a phoenix arising. I hear You saying as I walk around this Jericho today, "I AM the Phoenix; I bring Life out of ashes; I bring joy out of mourning. Watch and wait, trusting in Me, Who alone is able to bring forth fruit that is lovely and luscious."

I thank You, God in Three Persons,  different and yet the same! Thank You for the hope that is confident, not wishful or superstitious, but trusting in Your gracious gentle power and might that is unleashed by my surrender to Your Will. I gladly step aside, having brought to You the burdens that I bear, knowing that when I let go and give it all to You, there is nothing that can stop or clog the flow of Your invincible. May the tiny fortresses we bring to You be crucified and resurrected as we were! May the consolations of Christ be born again, that none should perish from lack of knowledge, but find You and Eternal Life through Christ and the Holy Spirit before You, Holy and Mighty, Merciful God.

This photograph was taken by Eric Jonas Swensson, whose work can be seen on Facebook by clicking on Sound Shore Media.


No comments:

Post a Comment