Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Recovery in the Bible (RIB)



Yesterday I gave some thought to the conumdrum I always bump into when I consider predestination in the same sentence as free will. A dear friend and Sister in Christ ended up sharing an EXCELLENT article by Charles Spurgeon on the subject, which I decided to excerpt and share here because it so heartened and consoled me. The full article can be found on a website called GRACEGEMS.ORG. Here is just tiny part that (for me) really helps!

"I cannot understand it," says one. I am compelled to say the same — I do not understand it either. I have known many who think they comprehend all things, but I imagine they had a higher opinion of themselves than truth would endorse. Certain of my brethren deny free agency, and so get out of the difficulty; others assert that there is no predestination, and so cut the knot.

As I do not wish to get out of the difficulty, and have no wish to shut my eyes to any part of the truth, I believe both free agency and predestination to be facts. How they can be made to agree, I do not know, or care to know; I am satisfied to know anything which God chooses to reveal to me, and equally content not to know what He does not reveal." 

The COMMENT feature on this blog supposedly works -- I hope some of you will try to use it! Or... you can share on the thread in the closed FB group called "Recovery in the Bible."

This photograph is by Kristofer Rowe.

No comments:

Post a Comment