Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Fall (Pun Intended) of 2008




So much has happened in the days since we entered this fast. First, a few horrendous attacks, then several storms on lumpy (REALLY LUMPY!) seas, followed by one glorious victory over the challenging college essay, then another very lumpy sea, then another victory. All this while the economy plummets, and America seems determined to believe that an empty suit will be able to steer us to safety.

This circle of intercessors I am joined with must be doing something awesome in the eyes of heaven, because this has been the wildest ride I’ve ever ridden. It has been exhausting, yet fruitful. I am learning:

  • To STAND.
  • To persevere.
  • To HOPE in confident expectancy that God has got it all in Hand.
This period has revealed something before my very eyes that I might have missed in normal circumstances. That revelation: how true it must be that that God has envisioned each of us for His purpose – a purpose of some kind for which we were created. The other night, Ned and I attended a performance of Big River, in which the guy who played Huckleberry Finn just flat-out personified what it looks like when someone is doing what they were born to do. It became doubly apparent as “Huck” was singing with the guy who played Jim. The song was great, and they were singing in perfect harmony, which was, clearly, a total joy ride for each of them.  It was inspiring to watch those two people using precisely their God-given gifts.

I remember Oswald Chambers saying that “The joy of anything, from a blade of grass upwards, is to fulfill its created purpose.”  And I have learned today that it’s joy for everyone standing near that blade of grass because it has pushed itself upwards through the whole earth into the sunlight. I seem to be “in my element” when in unceasing and expectant prayer.  I am also learning how much more “room at the Inn” there is when I’m not busy with meals -- or filled by meals. As these last days of fasting encroach pon us, I thank Him for reminding us that we do not live by bread alone but by every word that comes from God. He is the Bread of Life and the Living Water. He is all we need, and I thank Him for giving me a greater measure – from mere knowledge of this to greater understanding, and now, I believe, a deep inner wisdom.

Random thoughts lately that I don’t want to lose:

  • Whatever you are by “nature,” keep to it; never desert your line of talent.  Be what “nature” intended you for, and you will succeed (Sydney Smith 1771-1845). 
  • That I was intended by God to be an encourager; that I am to encourage people to seek God; that I am to pray for those I encounter who need to be retrieved by Jesus, the Christ, our only Salvation.
This photograph is by Pamela J. Chandler.

No comments:

Post a Comment