Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Fall (Pun Intended) of 2008




Fools Always Fiddle. The fool always plays the fiddle (as Nero did when Rome was burning). Isaiah cried out about this human characteristic more than 1,000 years ago – clearly a long time before we began experiencing the violent throes and birth pangs that we are experiencing today.

Isaiah says that foolishness is indelible in humans – that when Adam ate the apple, he wounded mankind incurably. Since it is from Adam that we are descended, all people have inherited the gene. We are born with the disposition to follow our own hearts rather than God’s (Nahum 3:18-19). This is foolishness, according to Isaiah, through whom the Lord says:

I have nourished and brought up children, but they have rebelled against Me.  The ox knows its owner and the donkey its master’s crib, but Israel does not know Me, nor do My people consider Me (Isaiah 1:2). The whole head is sick, from the sole of the foot even to the head (Isaiah 1:5-6). 

How the faithful city has become a harlot! It was full of justice! Righteousness lodged in it, but now -- murderers. Your silver has become dross; your wine has been mixed with water. Your princes are rebellious and companions of thieves.  Everyone loves bribes and follows after rewards. They do not defend the fatherless, nor does the cause of the widow come before them (Isaiah 1:21-23).

I pray for those who are still fools, for they know not that they are ignoring Your gentle knocking on the door of their hearts.  I know that they are blinded and truly cannot see, for I was like that once – hoodwinked, blindfolded.   But for some reason unknown to me, You came and met me on the road to Damascus, Lord, and You removed those cruel blinders.  You personally! You gently dropped the scales from my eyes so I could see, and now I see. How I thank You, oh mighty and most merciful God, for without Your meeting me on the road, I could have plodded on in error, hoodwinked, a fool.

This photograph is from the Facebook page of Kristofer Rowe.

No comments:

Post a Comment