Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Contemporary Psalms


2-20-13


Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.
Proverbs 13:10

Lord, I am thankful and sorry to see that I have an idol: validation from mere men, especially my blood relatives. I recognize it and reject it in Jesus, and declare that, instead, I need only embrace the sufficiency of being wholly and unconditionally loved by You, Who made me, Who beckoned me, Who came to sit with me and sing new songs, Who showed me that my purpose is to be Your instrument, Who began to sing through me, Who heard my cry when I fell deep down into the miry pit, Who sent thirty people with their “dirty laundry” to increase my trust in You, Who brought me out and stood me up to sing Your praises and to tell of Your works -- to show evidence to those who doubt, evidence that You are and that You are good, though You are not “tame.” 

A little boy named Justin said of his school, "We are lambs at first, and then we are lions." Let me, Lord, remain a lamb succored by You, hand-fed daily, raised up to speak truth by offering the Bread of Life I myself have received from You. Bread of Life! Living Waters! Let me be Your vessel, surrendered to Your use, oh Lord Jesus, my Savior, the Center of God’s eternal purpose. Help me appropriate that I am beloved even though I have erred and strayed from Your ways like a lost sheep. Strengthen me  to hold onto the faith that Your love of me does not depend on my performance being perfect -- or or results. Sometimes, like now, Your love requires me to experience the fires of imperfection, error, deception, and mistakes. But in that furnace, Lord, You walk with me, You walk with us. You are speaking these three things for me to know: (1) that I am Abba’s child, (2) that I live in Christ, (3) and that Christ lives in me. Thank You, Lord, for speaking these three things and moving them from my head into to my heart. It is a holy trinity! It is who I am because Christ came for me. 

This painting is by Veronica Benning. Her work can be seen on her Facebook page under the Photos section.

No comments:

Post a Comment