Thursday, March 3, 2011

I Got An Article Into Cruising World!



This photograph shows Zeepaard, a Dutch sailing barge and the subject of an article (by moi) that just got accepted into Cruising World Magazine. This is good news for me, as I have been hoping to re-enter the field of publishing, but had to wait until our son went off to college, and I’ve been trying ever since.

As you can see, Zeepaard is a wonderful “old lady” with personality plus. Her owners, Don and Abbie Penfield, are dear friends of ours. They have owned Zeepaard for thirty years and have sailed her from Sicily to St. Petersburg! My husband and I have cruised with them twice and have read their logs and journals. It was my husband’s idea to write something in celebration of Zeepaard’s 100th birthday. So I did.
Thus finally -- an acceptance letter! Cruising World is going to publish my tiny article in their June issue. This feels especially synchronistic and encouraging to me, because the very first piece for which I was ever actually paid appeared in a 1982 edition of Cruising World Magazine! And so -- not only am I diving back into “the water” of publishing at long last, but I’m springing off the very same board!
Please look for the essay, which is entitled Barging Through Europe. It’s short but it’s sweet, so please make a note to check it out in the June issue of Cruising World. It will appear in the Shoreline section.

9 comments:

  1. It is really great and happy information that you got an article into cruising world.
    danube cruise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Whitney! Congratulations to you!

    And....congratulations to Cruising World Magazine for connecting with a writer with a heart!

    One of the things I love about your writing is that I feel like you take me with you on your adventures. You help me to see through your eyes!

    May this be the start of a prolific writing career. I don't think it is a "coincidence" that your "new start" is back where you began! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emilie...I don't know you, but I like you already! You are spot on with your comments....and I wholeheartedly say AMEN! to the last paragraph!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys -- your encouragement is so, well... dare I say... encouraging. It's especially fun to actually get some comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will you save me a copy??? Obviously Cruising World is not published over here. You have told me so much about this old gal and her owners and your cruising with them that I am PSYCHED for the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, I sure will -- in fact, I will scan it and e-mail it to you in full-color. It's so good to have you on board this blog thing. I am hoping for some interesting exchanges and discussion eventually, but for now, it is fun just getting started....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am completely silent from the fact that I see the lemsteraak Seahorse again. My father-in-law had this boat built in the Netherlands. My late husband (his son) had such fond memories of this ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetje van der KampJune 16, 2022 at 9:29 PM

      sorry i'm completely overwhelmed.
      that I read this article! The 2 messages above are from me Greetje van der Kamp Netherlands

      Delete
  8. Greetje vanndernKampJune 16, 2022 at 9:24 PM

    Seahorse the dutch name Zeepaard

    ReplyDelete